Are you walking 10 000 steps WELL?
You’ve been working hard to get your steps per day up to 10 000? That’s great! Here is something to consider…are you walking well? If you are repeating a movement 10 000 times every single day, that movement needs to be working for you, not against you.
Next time you are walking on a nice flat path, take a minute to really think about your walking:
- Are your steps the same length?
- Are your feet hitting and rolling in the same way?
- Do you strike the ground with the same impact on each side?
- Do your hips feel level and stable or are they wobbling all over the place?
- Ask a friend of family member to tell you what they notice about your walking pattern (gait). Or perhaps you’ve often had comments about how you walk?
Strength and muscle length imbalances are often the culprits when it comes to an altered gait pattern. Our bodies are resilient and it can take a long time for pain to develop. Sometimes signs are more subtle: perhaps you tire easily with walking, have difficulty with hills or uneven surfaces, or you wake up sore the next morning. Sometimes, your gait just doesn’t feel right.
If any of this resonates with you, we welcome the opportunity to analyze your gait and figure out the root of the problem. We’ll help get you back on your (well aligned) feet!